Friday, January 20, 2012

Countdown and Flashback to the KEYS!

It is 26 DAYS til we depart for our winter break FLORIDA KEYS trip! wahoo!  This Party of Five took a similar trip about 4 years ago, but since that was Pre-Blogging Days I thought I would do a flashback post with some of those memories. . . and lessons learned!  Just think we were traveling with THREE children under the age of FIVE!  

The most memorable part of our trip was the flight (or should I say "flightSSS")  We had a lay-over in St. Louis, during a major snow and ice storm that turned into an over night lay-over . . .  NOT fun!
The boys took naps in the terminal . . . we were stuck there ALL day, until they finally told us we would not be able to fly out until the next day . .  nice!


And WHY you ask does Evan have no pants on?!  Well, did I mention we all had a touch of a stomach bug . .  have you ever had a child with diarrhea on a flight and stuck in a terminal all day? -- well, you run out of diapers and out of extra pants in your carry on!
We finally caught a cab; the roads were HORRIBLE, hotel rooms were scarce and that was IF you get to them, we settled into our ghetto (really, it was) hotel room.  After some "sleep" (remember, stomach bug, changing sheets on pack-n-play, finding the laundry room mid-night to wash a bink and putting the puck filled trashcan outside our hotel room door) we hit the streets to get back to the airport.  SO - 5 flip-flop wearing (we were SUPPOSSED to be in FLORIDA, not a snow storm!), luggage tugging, 3 car-seat towing, fun bunch walked through the ghetto in the ice and snow to a gas station to figure out how to catch a bus (cabs weren't able to drive on streets) at which point we were told it wasn't "safe" for us to walk to the bus stop.  This is where it gets really interesting - we all 5 pile in a less than new, duct-taped window oldsmobile with an african-american mother and her daughter (luggage and ALL) to get "safely" to the bus stop.  I precisly remember thinking - My Dad. Would Have. A Heartattack.!  We made it!!! 6 or 8 Flights later we arrived in Miami!  We had to split up - Me and the 1 year old, stomach bug infested, bink towing, hair fettish, can't sit still in an airplane Evan and Kerry with a 3 and 5 year old.  I honestly, don't know the tour of the country that my counterparts took - but Evan and I flew through every hub you could!  At one point, I exited the aircraft, dishelved with Evan hanging through my arms - I had no idea which city or state I was in, all I knew was that my next flight just took off and it was getting dark and I needed to get somewhere CLOSE to Florida to re-unit with my fam!  
Compared to all of that, the rest of the trip was a breeze!  We spent time at the pool and beach. . . .

Checked out the sights in Key West . . .


Ate yummy food!
Attempted to ride the conch train . . . Actually Kerry, Jayden and Kyler attempted - they had to get off and catch a cab mid way through because the boys got a little antsy:) . . . me and Evan settled on shopping!

We had a pass to the Key West marine life center, where the boys became hands-on experts . . .




We gave our best shot on a family pic at the furthest point.  Kerry wanted this so badly (as much I long for a good christmas card pic!) but, it just wasn't happening.  We a had a true Bum take the pic and I was scared he was going to run off with my camera!
Check out Mr. Happy pouting!
The boys got more hands on experience at the Island of the Sea  . .


And finally we ended back in Miami, headed home -- and NOT through St. Louis!

As, I think I've said before about one of our trips. . .  whats a little barfing, snow storm and danger - we had a great trip! 
 These are the things we learned for this next trip:
1.)NEVER fly or go through St. Louis - I'm sure it's a great place - but THIS party of five will NEVER go back there!  We have a DIRECT flight this time!
2.)  Pack extra diapers and pants in our carry-on:  oh-wait - no worries this time!
3.)  Let my history buff hubby ride the conch train to his hearts content BY HIMSELF.
4.) Give Kyler a chance to redeem himself at the Pirate Museum (he ran through a curtain wall screaming for his life and had to be picked up by me and Evan!)
5.)  Pump up on vitamin C so we don't get a stomach bug. . .  but also know, what the heck - we can still have fun with some barfing!
6.)  Hand over the camera to a Beach Bum and SMILE, cause we are getting the PERFECT family pic at the furthest point!
7.)  Most importantly HAVE FUN -- island hopping, seafood eating, history and marine learning, sunshine and some time at Disney - here we come!!!

No comments: