Thursday, February 23, 2012

Resort Life

After some Island hopping we took our last hop south . .  Key West!  Our next few days were spent living some WONDERFUL resort lifestyle!  Kerry had researched our accomodations for these nights and he picked the perfect spot in Key West . . . Casa Marina.  Ahhh . . . just saying the name relaxes me:)
You could easily drop your bags here and stay for weeks with no need (or want) to leave!  Beachside with private beaches, two pools, seaside restaurant and 2 private piers . .  . not to mention the historically beautiful casa!  I should have taken some pictures of the inside of the building because it was gorgous - huge arched windows with mahogany wood work and dark wook floors and smelt of coffee beans and banana leaves and a gorgeous staircase fitting for any bride.  The boys favorite part on the inside was the tiny elevator - built for President Trumans wheelchair - all five of us in it was like packing sardins!
Poolside ping pong tournament.
Behind the boys is the ocean and to the front the Casa - beaches and pools on either side.
Hammocks beachside.

Stairs off the pier into the ocean.
Seaside dining for breakfast.
 Beach combers.

 There are no waves in Key West because there is a reef five miles out, so there are no natural sandy beaches - all the sand is brought in from Miami.  It makes for a really neat coastline . .  flat rock where hundreds of shelled sea creatures collect . . . perfect for Pitts boy exploring!

 This is the Casa coming up from the beach.

 The view from my poolside lounge chair.  I could have lounged pool and beachside for days!  Pool boys would set up your towels for you, bring cucumbers and mist and frozen eucolyptos towels while you lounge.  Food, drinks and even sunglass cleaning all without having to leave the comfort of your lounge chair!  HEAVEN!




On Sunday morning we took a snorkeling trip - leaving from the pier.

The boat took us about 5 miles out to the reef.
I was really unsure about all this -- I mean, I have never been "for real" snorkeling myself and here we are dumping into the ocean with the kids!  I had them put all that garb on Evan and he sheaded it after 2 minutes in the water!  It was really neat and I think I will enjoy it better the next time because now I know what to expect!  The boys did perfectly!  The captain had to keep telling me to look DOWN -I was always sticking my head up and checking on the kids instead of looking at the ocean floor! 
Well, it's official- we LOVE resort living -- BUT - guess what, we are in KEY WEST and there is lots to do outside of the resort, too!!! 

No comments: